Kid's Place Weekly Brain Teasers
Subject: Monday Morning Message (usually Language Arts)
This site is would be great for a morning message. The format would be easy to use by putting up on a SMARTBoard or a projector screen from a computer with the internet. If those are not accessible, it could also be used as a centre.
What the site is is brain teaser questions that are updated weekly. The students could keep a separate notebook for these questions because they can check last week's answers when the new question comes up. After a few weeks, the students could do this independently or in partners without much teacher instruction to create independent work.
Grade 3 English Language Arts Reading Objectives:
The goal is to help students become fluent, independent, strategic readers. According to the International Reading Association (1999), reading requires teachers to help students develop:
- motivation to read extensively
- appropriate active strategies to construct meaning from print
- sufficient background information and vocabulary to foster reading comprehension
- ability to read fluently
- ability to decode unfamiliar words
- skills and knowledge to understand how phonemes or speech sounds are connected to print.